EXERCISES TO RELEASE LOWER BACK PAIN
Sit at the front of your chair. Sit with your legs apart, knees over your ankles. Straighten your lower back. Move your torso as one piece, as if your spine were a plank.
- Bring your knees together and open 4 times to relax your hip joints.
- Tilt your torso slowly forward and back 4 times, folding in your hip joints. Focus your eyes straight ahead.
- Rest with yourself tilted forward, elbows or hands on your knees. Relax your lower back with your head in line with your spine (do not look down).
- Bring your torso over to one side and push the other leg away to stretch your hip. Change sides.
- Sitting upright, circle your straight torso several times in each direction. Focus your eyes directly in front of you to avoid getting dizzy.
All of the DVDs in the Building Better Balance series stress release of lower back tension and core strengthening, but the 3rd one, “Developing Spine Health” focuses on this wonderful and powerful method in part described here.